Cari Brownlee

Posts Tagged ‘Pasadena Family Law Attorney’

How Much Does It Cost To Get A Divorce?

In Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on February 1, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Naturally a concern for those looking to get a divorce is how much his/her divorce will cost. The costs of a divorce depend on many factors.
First, it depends on whether your divorce is going to be an uncontested divorce or a contested divorce. Usually attorneys charge a flat fee for uncontested divorces. There could be additional fees related to your particular situation. For instance, if you and your spouse own real property and one of you will be awarded the property in the divorce, then you will likely want a Special Warranty Deed. It is more economical for your pocketbook if your divorce is uncontested.
If your divorce is contested, then you will find that most attorneys charge an hourly rate for their services because your attorney has no idea how much time he or she will spend on the case. Different attorneys charge different hourly rates. Hourly rates differ based on attorneys’ experience and location among other reasons. If you are looking for an attorney that practices in the nicest building close to downtown, then be prepared to pay a higher hourly rate for that attorney. The higher overhead the attorney has to pay, the higher the hourly rate you have to pay. In addition to paying for the attorney based on that attorney’s hourly rate, be prepared to pay an initial retainer. An initial retainer is an amount of money that you put down at the start of your case. Your filing fee and fees to have your spouse served will be used out of that initial retainer, and then any remaining funds will be used based on the amount of time your attorney spends on your case and your attorney’s hourly rate.
Know that attorneys’ hourly rates and initial retainers vary from attorney to attorney. I always encourage people to shop around to find an attorney that they feel comfortable with. However, you should know that when shopping for attorneys over the phone, it is difficult for many attorneys to provide individuals anticipating a contested divorce with an exact amount of an initial retainer over the phone. Many factors are considered when determining an initial retainer; therefore, attorneys generally like to sit down and talk with individuals to determine what all might be problematic issues. Obviously, the more complicated the case, the more likely the initial retainer will be higher.

For more information on attorneys’ fees, contact me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.


Should I Stay Married Because of My Kids

In Uncategorized on February 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm

When people come to meet with me regarding a divorce, one of the number one reasons they say they are still married is because of their kids. I found this article that includes the perspective of children living in a home in which parents have an unhealthy relationship. This goes with the debate as to whether it is better to stay in an unhealthy relationship for the children.

Protecting Your Finances During Divorce

In Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on June 25, 2013 at 2:44 am

Protecting Your Finances During Divorce

Getting a Divorce? Here’s Help On How to Protect Your Credit

In Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on June 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

Getting a divorce can have a negative impact on your credit.  I discovered a great article regarding protecting your credit during a divorce.

Getting a Divorce? Here’s How to Protect Your Credit | Blog.

Answer to the Question: Can I see my kids if I am behind in child support?

In Child Support, Children Issues, Uncategorized on June 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Pasadena, Texas Family Law Attorney Cari Brownlee, 281-998-8880, answers the common question, “Can I see my kids if I am behind in child support?”

My ex will not let me see my son/daughter. What can I do if my ex will not let me see my kid(s)?

In Children Issues, Contested Divorces, Uncategorized on April 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm

If your ex-spouse or ex-girlfriend/boyfriend will not let you see your children, you should contact a Family Law Attorney.  You will first want to establish visitation orders with a court in your jurisdiction. Once orders are established,then you have set times to see your children. If your ex does not allow you to see your children during your court ordered set visitation times,your ex could be held in contempt of court. Contempt of court may be punishable by jail.

If you are having a difficult time seeing your children, call me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

I was served with divorce papers. What should I do if I am served?

In Contested Divorces on April 25, 2013 at 9:07 pm

If you are served with divorce papers, after you get over the initial shock, you should contact an attorney. Attorneys that handle divorces are considered Family Law Attorneys. You do not want to procrastinate about consulting with an attorney once you have been served. If you are served with divorce papers you have a deadline to file an answer with the clerk of the court. If you do not file an answer, your spouse may get a “default divorce” against you. That would mean your spouse determining all property division and child related issues with you having no say. You do not want a default divorce against you.

If you have been served and wish to speak with a lawyer, call me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

If I Get A Divorce Do I Have To Change My Last Name?

In Contested Divorces, Uncontested Divorces on August 31, 2011 at 8:38 pm

If you are a woman and took your husband’s last name when you got married, if you get divorced, you can either request a name change to go back to your maiden name or you can keep your husband’s last name.  The decision is yours and yours alone.  Your soon-to-be ex-husband has no control over whether or not you decide to keep his last name  or not. 

For more information on name changes, call Cari Brownlee at 281-998-8880.

Can I Change My Name At The Same Time I Get Divorced?

In Contested Divorces, Uncontested Divorces on August 31, 2011 at 8:24 pm

You can change your name at the same time you get divorced.  An attorney can easily add your request for a name change to your final decree. Just make sure you notify your attorney of your desire to change your name before the petition is filed.

For more information on a name change, call Cari Brownlee at 281-998-8880.

Can I get a divorce in Harris County, Brazoria County, Chambers County, Liberty County or Galveston County if I am pregnant?

In Children Issues, Contested Divorces, Uncontested Divorces on August 7, 2011 at 5:53 pm

If you are seeking a divorce while you or your spouse is pregnant, the divorce may be filed; however, the divorce may not be finalized while you or your spouse is pregnant.