Cari Brownlee

Posts Tagged ‘child custody’

Should I Stay Married Because of My Kids

In Uncategorized on February 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm

When people come to meet with me regarding a divorce, one of the number one reasons they say they are still married is because of their kids. I found this article that includes the perspective of children living in a home in which parents have an unhealthy relationship. This goes with the debate as to whether it is better to stay in an unhealthy relationship for the children.


My ex will not let me see my son/daughter. What can I do if my ex will not let me see my kid(s)?

In Children Issues, Contested Divorces, Uncategorized on April 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm

If your ex-spouse or ex-girlfriend/boyfriend will not let you see your children, you should contact a Family Law Attorney.  You will first want to establish visitation orders with a court in your jurisdiction. Once orders are established,then you have set times to see your children. If your ex does not allow you to see your children during your court ordered set visitation times,your ex could be held in contempt of court. Contempt of court may be punishable by jail.

If you are having a difficult time seeing your children, call me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

At What Age Can A Child Choose Which Parent To Live With In Texas?

In Children Issues, Contested Divorces on February 5, 2011 at 5:17 am

I am frequently asked at what age can a child choose which parent he/she wants to live with.  There is clearly a misunderstanding about children choosing who they want to live with. In Texas, children do not get to choose who they want to live with.  Section 153.009 of the Texas Family Code does allow for children to have a voice on the subject. The law allows for a party to request for the judge to confer with a child. Once a request is made for a judge to confer with a child, the judge must talk with children 12 years of age and older and may talk with children under the age of 12. Therefore, the law allows for children to state their preference, it does not allow them to choose.  The interview is merely evidence  courts can use to make its decision.  The court’s decision is ultimately based on what is in the best interest of the children.

What does SAPCR stand for?

In Children Issues, Contested Divorces on August 24, 2010 at 1:56 pm

In Texas, SAPCR stands for a suit affecting the parent-child relationship.   It is the name for suits that involve almost any issue regarding a child. This includes conservator issues and child support. In a divorce with children, a SAPCR is combined with a suit for dissolution of marriage.