Cari Brownlee

Archive for the ‘Uncategorized’ Category

What to Think About When Planning a Wedding

In Uncategorized on May 15, 2014 at 2:21 pm

If you are in the process of planning a wedding, I am sure you have thought about flowers, music, wedding attire, wedding attendants, and so forth, but have you considered a premarital agreement? One of the main benefits of a premarital agreement is that it assist in protecting your assets and property rights in the event of a divorce or death.  A premarital agreement must be signed prior to marriage. You should consult with an attorney prior to getting married about the benefits of a premarital agreement for you.

To consult with Attorney Cari Brownlee regarding a premarital agreement call 281-998-8880.


How Much Does It Cost To Get A Divorce?

In Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on February 1, 2014 at 10:34 pm

Naturally a concern for those looking to get a divorce is how much his/her divorce will cost. The costs of a divorce depend on many factors.
First, it depends on whether your divorce is going to be an uncontested divorce or a contested divorce. Usually attorneys charge a flat fee for uncontested divorces. There could be additional fees related to your particular situation. For instance, if you and your spouse own real property and one of you will be awarded the property in the divorce, then you will likely want a Special Warranty Deed. It is more economical for your pocketbook if your divorce is uncontested.
If your divorce is contested, then you will find that most attorneys charge an hourly rate for their services because your attorney has no idea how much time he or she will spend on the case. Different attorneys charge different hourly rates. Hourly rates differ based on attorneys’ experience and location among other reasons. If you are looking for an attorney that practices in the nicest building close to downtown, then be prepared to pay a higher hourly rate for that attorney. The higher overhead the attorney has to pay, the higher the hourly rate you have to pay. In addition to paying for the attorney based on that attorney’s hourly rate, be prepared to pay an initial retainer. An initial retainer is an amount of money that you put down at the start of your case. Your filing fee and fees to have your spouse served will be used out of that initial retainer, and then any remaining funds will be used based on the amount of time your attorney spends on your case and your attorney’s hourly rate.
Know that attorneys’ hourly rates and initial retainers vary from attorney to attorney. I always encourage people to shop around to find an attorney that they feel comfortable with. However, you should know that when shopping for attorneys over the phone, it is difficult for many attorneys to provide individuals anticipating a contested divorce with an exact amount of an initial retainer over the phone. Many factors are considered when determining an initial retainer; therefore, attorneys generally like to sit down and talk with individuals to determine what all might be problematic issues. Obviously, the more complicated the case, the more likely the initial retainer will be higher.

For more information on attorneys’ fees, contact me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

Should I Stay Married Because of My Kids

In Uncategorized on February 1, 2014 at 9:32 pm

When people come to meet with me regarding a divorce, one of the number one reasons they say they are still married is because of their kids. I found this article that includes the perspective of children living in a home in which parents have an unhealthy relationship. This goes with the debate as to whether it is better to stay in an unhealthy relationship for the children.

Secondhand Smoke and Child Custody

In Child Support, Children Issues, Contested Divorces, Uncategorized on June 28, 2013 at 2:47 am

Secondhand Smoke and Child Custody

Smoking can be an issue brought up during a child custody lawsuit. If you are in a child custody battle and you smoke or the other parent smokes, you should discuss the issue of smoking with your attorney.

Protecting Your Finances During Divorce

In Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on June 25, 2013 at 2:44 am

Protecting Your Finances During Divorce

Getting a Divorce? Here’s Help On How to Protect Your Credit

In Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on June 23, 2013 at 3:13 am

Getting a divorce can have a negative impact on your credit.  I discovered a great article regarding protecting your credit during a divorce.

Getting a Divorce? Here’s How to Protect Your Credit | Blog.

Answer to the Question: Can I see my kids if I am behind in child support?

In Child Support, Children Issues, Uncategorized on June 22, 2013 at 9:49 pm

Pasadena, Texas Family Law Attorney Cari Brownlee, 281-998-8880, answers the common question, “Can I see my kids if I am behind in child support?”

My ex will not let me see my son/daughter. What can I do if my ex will not let me see my kid(s)?

In Children Issues, Contested Divorces, Uncategorized on April 26, 2013 at 8:35 pm

If your ex-spouse or ex-girlfriend/boyfriend will not let you see your children, you should contact a Family Law Attorney.  You will first want to establish visitation orders with a court in your jurisdiction. Once orders are established,then you have set times to see your children. If your ex does not allow you to see your children during your court ordered set visitation times,your ex could be held in contempt of court. Contempt of court may be punishable by jail.

If you are having a difficult time seeing your children, call me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

We haved moved!

In About Cari Brownlee, Child Support, Children Issues, Contested Divorces, Uncategorized, Uncontested Divorces on April 25, 2013 at 8:53 pm

I have moved, but don’t worry, I am just one block away from my Fairmont Pkwy office. My office is now located at 3515 Preston Ave., Pasadena, Texas.

How do I know if I am common-law married in Harris County, Texas?

In Uncategorized on April 26, 2011 at 1:52 pm

I have lately received numerous questions from people wanting to know if they are common-law married. Common-law marriages, also known as informal marriages, are recognized in Texas. In order to be married by common-law in Texas, you must either have signed a declaration of an informal marriage or meet three elements. First, both individuals must agree to be married. Second, both individuals must live together in Texas as husband and wife. Third, both individuals must represent to others that they are husband and wife.  Texas Family Code Section 2.401(a)(2).